Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs 12 mins
This makes a nice moderately weighted loaf of a dark gold colour. The flavour is slightly creamy, with a hint of sweetness. I'm listing the ingredients in an order that I find works best with the bread machines that I have used. But go ahead and experiment, that's the fun of food creation! This recipe is based on "Creamy Rye" which is one of my favorite bread recipes, also found on this web site.
- 7⁄8 cup warm water (100F/38C)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 3⁄4 cups white flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups rye flour or 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed (optional)
- Mix the sugar and molasses with the warm water.
- Stir in the yeast.
- Let stand for 10 minutes or so. The yeast should foam nicely on top of the water. If not, your water is to hot, to cold, in which case try again; otherwise your yeast may have expired.
- Put yeast mixture in the bread machine breadpan.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed.
- Set bread machine on whole grain setting, or equivilant.
- Let me know how it works out for you!