Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
These rich decadent individual sized pizzas are to die for, but your waistline wont pay for the pleasure, and they couldn't be easier. Make them right on the stovetop in one skillet. Great appetizer if you use small portabellas. Also wonderful for people not fond of the musty flavor of mushrooms because these have a light meat like flavor and texture. I created this recipe as a starch free option for pizza, aka no-carb. I always loved mushroom pizza's but crust is a pain in the rear. If its not just right it ruins everything, not to mention its tough on the diet. Good vegetarian recipe with lots of nutrition.
- 4 -5 portabella mushrooms (8-10 if small- 3 inch or less)
- 1⁄2 lb grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce or 1 1⁄2 cups pizza sauce
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup fresh spinach, and
- grilled onion (or 1/2 cup pizza toppings any you like)
- 1⁄4 cup soy pepperoni (any cooked meats work well for a non vegetarian version)
- Remove the stems by twisting gently till they pop free.
- Gently rinse and PAT dry your portabellas.
- Place a small amount of butter or sunflower oil (wonderful Healthy cooking oil)in a large skillet and preheat.
- Grille until tender and meat like in texture (about 6 minutes each side depending on heat and pan).
- With the ribs (black ridged cup like side) up add sauce and use a spoon to push to the edges.
- Add mozzarella cheese to cover to the edge.
- Add toppings of your choice.
- Cover pan with lid or foil for 1 minute or until till cheese melts.
- Serve and enjoy!
- These reheat wonderfully!
- These make great microwave lunch-.
- Cook as directed, add cheese and toppings, but dont melt cheese.
- Remove and place directly into storage container and refrigerate or freeze.
- Take to work and place in fridge or leave out to defrost (be careful in hot climates).
- At lunch time just throw in the microwave and heat for 1-2 minutes (depending on your microwave).
Our family really varied on their like of this recipe. I made it with bacon to be more appealing to my children, otherwise everything else was the same. The star rating we gave was an average of all of our tastes.