Spencer Hanson's Note:
Authentic family recipe from Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica. We met our new friend Eliza on our trip to Punta Uva last week. She and her family offered to show us how to make breadfruit Caribbean style. This dish is AMAZING! One of my new favorite meals. This was my first time having breadfruit, and I think I liked it even better than chicken. More tender than chicken, more moist and less starchy than a potato. Watch the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFzbhKyABDU&feature=plcp
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grate coconut, add 4-5 cups water and massage to work out milk. Strain out coconut.
- 2Add chopped garlic, then onion to hot oil. Cook for a couple minutes.
- 3Add chopped breadfruit.
- 4Add thyme, chicken bouillon, and salt.
- 5Add coconut milk.
- 6Simmer covered for 20 minutes or until bread fruit is tender.
- 7Serve over steamed rice. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Breadfruit in Seasoned Coconut Sauce (Costa Rican Caribbean Styl
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 872.0
- Calories from Fat 661
- Total Fat 73.5 g
- Saturated Fat 59.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 629.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.9 g
- Sugars 23.6 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: