Recipe by Spencer Hanson
Authentic family recipe from Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica. We met our new friend Eliza on our trip to Punta Uva last week. She and her family offered to show us how to make breadfruit Caribbean style. This dish is AMAZING! One of my new favorite meals. This was my first time having breadfruit, and I think I liked it even better than chicken. More tender than chicken, more moist and less starchy than a potato. Watch the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFzbhKyABDU&feature=plcp
- 1 large breadfruit
- 2 coconuts
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Grate coconut, add 4-5 cups water and massage to work out milk. Strain out coconut.
- Add chopped garlic, then onion to hot oil. Cook for a couple minutes.
- Add chopped breadfruit.
- Add thyme, chicken bouillon, and salt.
- Add coconut milk.
- Simmer covered for 20 minutes or until bread fruit is tender.
- Serve over steamed rice. Enjoy!