Recipe by Latin Chef;-)
Gluten free desert, you can substitute the breadfruit for pumpkin or sweet potato. Bakes great with egg replacer, I usually use half eggs and the replacer. Don't know how to replace the cream cheese or evaporated milk so I don't. Hope you enjoy!!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups boiled and mashed breadfruit (pumpkin or sweet potato ok)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 13 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Select 2 oven safe containers, one that can easily fit inside the other.
- Prepare a large cake pan for the hot water bath "baño de maria".
- Both pans or molds have to be tall enough so the water doesn't go into the other or fall out. If you prefer you can make 2 thin pies.
- In a microwavable bowl mix the sugar and water and cook in the microwave on high (high) for 5-7 minutes. Pour the caramel in a round 8 " mold (although I find it easier to pour the water and sugar directly in the mold and "brown" the sugar directly on the stove burner).
- In food processor blend the boiled breadfruit, cream cheese, sugar and add the eggs one by one. Add evaporated milk, vanilla extract and mix.
- Pour the mixture into caramel mold. Place mold in water bath and place in the oven.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hour. Let cool and place in the refrigerator until serving time. If you bake 2 thin pies, bake for 1 hour.