Recipe by littleturtle
Breadfruit is used as a vegetable when mature but not ripe. Ripe breadfruit is also used for dessert dishes like this one. Like potatoes and bananas, the breadfruit is rich in starch, only some of which is converted into sugars upon ripening. Nutritionally, breadfruit is an excellent staple, rich in proteins, with a range of amino acids.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or 2 cups flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups salad oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups ripe breadfruit, peeled and mashed (1 1/2 lbs)
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together the dry ingredients.
- Add oil, and stir well.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla and continue beating with electric mixer.
- Beat in breadfruit until smooth.
- Remove fibrous breadfruit from beater.
- Stir in nuts.
- Bake in 3 long pans for 45 minutes.