Recipe by Manami
We usually eat this at Lila's Restaurant & it served with julienned fried potato sticks, maduros(fried ripe plantains) and white fluffy rice, a Cuban regular with all meals. I ususally ask for tomato and avocado slices with my steak. Delish! Allow the meat to marinate in special mixture overnight. These make wonderful sandwiches and it can also be eaten cold.
Top Review by Ilysse
Yum! I used very thin strips of steak about two inches wide. I think they are sirloin. Its the same stuff I use to make braciole and milanese. The marinade was wonderful. It surprised DH at first but he wound up eating FIVE. I served this with Congri (a rice and red bean dish I found on tasteofcuba.com) and plantains. DH had the potato sticks too. Fantastic meal! Thanks for another good one. — Jul 4, 2006 I just wanted to update this by saying that they are indeed good cold and as a sandwich. I had two leftover pieces, one I put on rye bread with mayo and the other I stuck on italian bread with mayo. I didn't heat them up, in fact they sat in the fridge for a few hours as sandwiches b4 I got to them and I enjoyed the heck out of them both days. DH has already requested these again so this is definately a keeper. Going to make them next week for a picnic lunch.
- 4 steaks, 1/4 inch thick
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice, sour orange juice (or 1/8 cup orange juice & 1/16 cup lemon juice & 1/16 cup lime juice)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon peppercorn, smashed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika, Spanish
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup ground cracker meal, salted to taste
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle steaks with chopped onion, minced garlic, "sour" orange juice or alternative mix, and salt.
- Rub into meat and cover.
- Place in the refrigerator & allow to marinate overnight.
- In bowl, beat the eggs - place flour on a plate, & breadcrumbs on another plate.
- Season with the seasonings and dip the steaks into eggs, then roll into flour cover lightly, then back into egg mixture and then into breadcrumbs and cover both on sides.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat and fry steak on both sides, until golden brown - don't overcook.