Recipe by Walleye Bob
This is a great tasting recipe that can be prepared weeks in advance for holidays or other special occasions. I place the finished product in serving portions into saran type wrap and shape. Cover with foil and freeze. Great as a side with everything.
- 8 medium potatoes, peel and cut into 1/2 cubes
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 8 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups diced onions
- 3 cups diced celery
- 6 tablespoons dried parsley, well rounded
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 10 slices white bread, cutinto 1/4 " to 1/2-inch cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- In dutch oven type cooker simmer the.
- butter, margarine and cubed potatoes un- covered for approximately 20 minutes tossing with flipper a good number of times.
- When the potatoes start to golden add the onion, parsley, celery and black pepper and toss well to blend. Simmer 20 minutes covered and flip/ toss often.
- Remove from heat and preheat oven to 225°F.
- Using a hand masher slowly add the cubed bread and blend well. Place into a oven proof 2-3 quart buttered container. Pat down to shape. Top with butter dots, cover and slow bake for 45 minutes.
- Can be cooled and reheated or cooled and refrigerated for a few days or cooled and specific portions can be frozen.
- I always wrap cooled portioned potatoes in saran to shape for freezer stacking. Then wrap the saran portions in foil. Take directly from freezer and put into oven turn the heat to 325 F for 60 minute.