Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
This will definitely stick to your ribs, so if you are looking for six-pack abs you should avoid this meal.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork cutlets
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups Japanese-style bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3 ounces margarine
- 4 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 quart milk
- Place cutlets between sheets of plastic wrap and pound thin.
- Place in pan; cover with buttermilk and marinate 1 hour.
- Combine flour, garlic salt, pepper, and salt in a bowl.
- Dredge cutlets in flour; dip in buttermilk.
- Place in a bowl of Japanese Bread crumbs and coat well.
- Heat oil in skillet to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place each cutlet in pan and fry 4 minutes each side, or until a light brown.
- Take cutlets out of skillet and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place in pan; cover with foil; and finish in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- For the Country Gravy:.
- Melt margarine in a pot and add flour to make a roux.
- Cook roux over a medium flame, stirring constantly with a wire whip, until a very light brown.
- Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Scald milk and slowly add roux until sauce thickens.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- To kick it up a notch, fry a piece of bacon, crumble it and add to gravy.
I was very excited about this but, it was so bland. Needed garlic, onions or something more. Made the gravy in the pan I had cooked the cutlets in to get some of the meat flavor but the gravy was still really flavorless. Probably will be better with some additions.
This was really tender! I messed up the gravy but it was still really good. I used plain bread crumbs as well. My kids actually thought it was chicken fried steak:) and they don't like pork. I did add a little more pepper and salt to the gravy. Very good thank you for posting.
The cutlets came out nice and tender. I did not have the Japanese-style crumbs, so used plain. We did like the breaded cutlets. I had a box of white gravy that I used, so I did not try your gravy recipe this time. Thank you for sharing