Recipe by fraxinus
This is the oyster breading recipe I use in my restaurant. I use these for the basis of many recipes. As I live close to the ocean and one of the largest producers of oysters in North America is 15 min from me I feel ok about buying the oysters from them. This recipe uses fresh shucked oysters. The oysters are breaded then frozen raw and can be cooked from raw without thawing. I use this base for making oyster burgers which I will also post.
- 1 pint fresh shucked oyster
- 3 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 feet wax paper
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons tartar sauce
- 4 lemon slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk water and eggs in bowl until light in colour.
- Mix bread crumbs salt and pepper in a flat dish.
- Place oysters on 6 paper towels and then pat dry with another 6 paper towels.
- Line a cookie tray with wax paper and make room in your freezer for the tray to sit level.
- Dip oysters in egg and then dredge in the bread crumb mixture.
- Set oysters on cookie tray and freeze.
- Move frozen oysters to a sealable container and keep in freezer.
- When you want a pan fried oyster, heat a frying pan with a tight fitting lid to medium heat and add 2 tbsp margarine. Take out as many as you want, place in the pan and let brown for 3 minute Flip the oysters, turn up the heat to high, pour in 2 tbsp water and cover with the lid. Fry for 4 minute Take off the lid (the heat from the steam will cook the oysters) Their should be a cloud of steam when you take off the lid. The oysters will now be soft. Cook for another 3 min on each side.
- Serve with tartar sauce and lemons.