1/2 Photos of Breaded Eggplant (Oven-Baked)
Roxygirl in Colorado's Note:
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated, this baked eggplant is superb, versatile, and lower-fat than the traditional fried. It's thrice-dipped: flour, eggs, and bread crumbs. I feel like I have a "gold mine" when I have a batch in the 'fridge! It makes great veggie sandwiches, eggplant Parmesan and a great filler for egg and pasta dishes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cut crosswise (I cut 1/4-1/2 inch wide)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (I use less about a teaspoon)
- 4 cups breadcrumbs (best from dense white bread, French bread, preferably NOT the kind from the can)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil (I've used olive, too)
- 1Start by draining the eggplant: layer sliced eggplant with gentle sprinkle of salt in a colander and place a plate or lid on top). The eggplant will leak out about 2 tbs. of moisture (about a half hour-sometimes I just do set it about 15 minutes and that seems to work, too).
- 2I lightly wipe excess salt off with damp paper towel.
- 3Heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare cookie sheet/jelly roll pan with half the oil and heat in oven while dipping/breading the eggplant.
- 4Mix together flour and pepper and put in large Zip-lock bag.
- 5Mix Parmesan and bread crumbs and put in pie plate.
- 6Dipping process:.
- 7Place about 10 slices at a time in flour and shake to coat lightly.
- 8Dip eggplant in beaten egg (I use a cereal bowl to dip).
- 9Dredge in bread crumb mixture.
- 10Line, without overlapping, eggplant onto cookie sheet.
- 11Bake for about 10-15 minutes until bottoms are lightly browned, and flip and finish cooking the other side.
- 12Repeat with remaining eggplant.
- 13Remove and cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Breaded Eggplant (Oven-Baked)
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 644.7
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 138.6 mg
- Sodium 1996.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 24.2 g