Recipe by Sandy in Oklahoma
I've had this recipe for years and I can't remember where I got it. It takes a little effort to make but it is soooo delicious that it's worth the effort.
Top Review by stonecoldcrazy
Fabulous recipe! I wasn't sure about the cornmeal, I thought it might be grainy, but it turned out very nicely. I didn't use the avocado because I'm allergic but it was still yummy. A nice change from plain old chicken!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 firm ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, divided
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion, tops only
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Using meat mallet or tenderizing hammer, pound chicken breasts to 1/4 inch thickness.
- In shallow dish, mix together cornstarch, cumin and garlic salt. Dredge chicken once piece at a time, coat well.
- In small bowl, mix egg and water.In another small bowl, place cornmeal.
- Dip coated chicken, first in egg mixture bowl and then in cornmeal bowl, turning to coat well.
- In large frypan, place oil and heat to medium temperature. Add chicken and cook 2 minutes on each side.
- Place browned chicken in shallow baking pan. Lay avocado slices on top of chicken and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in 325 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease and cheese melts.
- Top each chicken breast with sour cream, sprinkle with green onion and red pepper.