Sandy in Houston's Note:
I've had this recipe for years and I can't remember where I got it. It takes a little effort to make but it is soooo delicious that it's worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 firm ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion, tops only
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1Using meat mallet or tenderizing hammer, pound chicken breasts to 1/4 inch thickness.
- 2In shallow dish, mix together cornstarch, cumin and garlic salt. Dredge chicken once piece at a time, coat well.
- 3In small bowl, mix egg and water.In another small bowl, place cornmeal.
- 4Dip coated chicken, first in egg mixture bowl and then in cornmeal bowl, turning to coat well.
- 5In large frypan, place oil and heat to medium temperature. Add chicken and cook 2 minutes on each side.
- 6Place browned chicken in shallow baking pan. Lay avocado slices on top of chicken and sprinkle with cheese.
- 7Bake in 325 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease and cheese melts.
- 8Top each chicken breast with sour cream, sprinkle with green onion and red pepper.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Breaded Chicken Melt
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 596.7
- Calories from Fat 356
- Total Fat 39.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 171.6 mg
- Sodium 346.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 42.2 g