Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a Martha Stewart recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 8 chicken cutlets (1 1/2 lb.)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemons, juice of
- In a shallow dish, combine flour with a pinch of salt. In another dish, whisk together egg, 1 tablespoons water, and a pinch of salt. In a third dish, stir together breadcrumbs, 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoons black pepper.
- Working with one cutlet at a time, dredge cutlet in flour to coat completely, then shake off excess flour. Dip floured chicken in the egg mixture, turning to coat completely. Let excess drip off. Place cutlet in breadcrumb mixture, patting it in and turning it coat both sides. Shake off any excess crumbs before proceeding.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium; swirl to coat pan. Add 4 cutlets; cook until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken. Remove cutlets to serving tray. Squeeze juice of two lemons into bottom of skillet, add 2 tablespoons butter and swirl until melted, scraping up any browned bits. Serve sauce with cutlets.
This was very good, but the sauce is loose. I would add a bit of flour and make a roux, just a bit to thicken it up.
The lemon/butter sauce is what makes this so good. The simple recipes like this one, are often the tastiest. Thanks for posting this one.