Recipe by mersaydees
From Pol Martin's cookbook, Easy Cooking for Today. He is one of Canada's premier cooks.
Top Review by Adrienne in Reisterstown
I wasn't certain what "seasoned flour" meant so I added a generous helping of garlic powder, onion powder and McCormick Salt-Free Chicken grill seasoning to the flour. I also added a little Emeril's Italian Seasoning to the breadcrumbs. Gruyere seemed a bit strong for our tastes so I went plain ole mozzarella. For the tomato sauce I used Bertolli Premium Summer Crushed Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce in the bag. Loved it loved it loved it!!! Sort of a chicken parm without all the fuss!!! Pure perfection! Made for the Auzzie/NZ Recipe Swap #25.
- 2 large whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup seasoned flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 slices gruyere cheese
- 1 cup tomato sauce, heated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit (200 degrees celcius).
- Dredge chicken with flour. Dip into beaten eggs. Coat with breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in frying pan. When it reaches medium-high heat, add chicken breasts and cook 4 minutes.
- Flip chicken breasts over and cook an additional 4 minutes.
- Place chicken in ovenproof dish and cook 5 minutes in pre-heated oven.
- Remove chicken from oven and cover each breast with a slice of cheese.
- Return chicken to oven and bake 5 more minutes.
- Season tomato sauce if necessary and serve with chicken.