Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Pol Martin's cookbook, Easy Cooking for Today. He is one of Canada's premier cooks.
- 2 large whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup seasoned flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 slices gruyere cheese
- 1 cup tomato sauce, heated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit (200 degrees celcius).
- Dredge chicken with flour. Dip into beaten eggs. Coat with breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in frying pan. When it reaches medium-high heat, add chicken breasts and cook 4 minutes.
- Flip chicken breasts over and cook an additional 4 minutes.
- Place chicken in ovenproof dish and cook 5 minutes in pre-heated oven.
- Remove chicken from oven and cover each breast with a slice of cheese.
- Return chicken to oven and bake 5 more minutes.
- Season tomato sauce if necessary and serve with chicken.
I wasn't certain what "seasoned flour" meant so I added a generous helping of garlic powder, onion powder and McCormick Salt-Free Chicken grill seasoning to the flour. I also added a little Emeril's Italian Seasoning to the breadcrumbs. Gruyere seemed a bit strong for our tastes so I went plain ole mozzarella. For the tomato sauce I used Bertolli Premium Summer Crushed Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce in the bag. Loved it loved it loved it!!! Sort of a chicken parm without all the fuss!!! Pure perfection! Made for the Auzzie/NZ Recipe Swap #25.
This recipe is easy to prepare. We felt the gruyere cheese did not go well with this dish. Made again, would use mozzerella. We might also place the cutlets on hoagie rolls and serve as a sub sandwich. The chicken came out very tender. Thanks for sharing.