Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Tempura-style battered chicken tidbits soaked in a lemon glaze --- this can also be make using a meaty fish such a cod or halibut cut into small pieces, if you prefer a less sweeter glaze then reduce the sugar by a couple tablespoons --- serve with rice :)
Top Review by adopt a greyhound
This was a very good Lemon Chicken. I made half a recipe with one chicken breast and one lb. halibut. I liked the chicken better but both were very good. Served with rice and broccoli.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (can use up to 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 slices lemons (peeled)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 drop yellow food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the breasts into about 1-1/2-inch cubes (or smaller) then place in a large bowl.
- Toss the chicken strips with 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover and chill for 20 minutes.
- For the batter; in a small bowl beat the eggs with 1/4 cup cornstarch, baking powder and pinch white pepper.
- Heat 2 cups vegetable oil in a wok to 350 degrees F.
- Using clean hands completely coat/toss the chicken with the cornstarch batter.
- Place chicken in the hot oil and fry (in batches) until browned and cooked through; set aside to a large serving plate and tent loosely with foil to keep warm while making the lemon sauce.
- For the lemon glaze; in a medium bowl combine 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 cup chicken broth, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 3/4 teaspoon salt and food coloring (if using) mix until combined then add in the peeled lemon slices.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the wok and slowly stir in the lemon glaze mixture; cook stirring until the glaze is clear (at this point you can remove the lemon slices or leave in the sauce).
- Drizzle the glaze over the chicken.
- Place fresh lemon slices on top if desired.
- Serve with cooked rice.