Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
Brussels sprouts are quite often referred to as "Little Cabbages" and some persons did not like them until they tried them breaded. These Breaded Brussels Sprouts are an excellent vegetable dish to be served with your main course. The crumb coating gives them a very unique taste. Originally, I found a recipe that just had some dried bread crumbs sprinkled on them. With some experi
Top Review by KeyWee
Uncle Bill - these were delicious! Made your recipe exactly as shown - nothing needs to be changed! I was able to make these ahead of time & then just popped them under the broiler 5 minutes b4 dinner. Even my picky DH liked these (and he's darn lucky I even shared them!). I'll be making this dish often - thanks!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh Brussels sprouts
- 2 -3 cups cold water (, or enough water to cover sprouts)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted (divided)
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (, Parmigiano Reggiano preferred)
- 4 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and trim Brussels sprouts.
- Cut an"X" in the stem, about 3/8 inch deep (This will help cook the Brussels sprouts more evenly and quicker).
- In a medium size saucepan, add Brussels sprouts and cover with cold water, add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 6 minutes or until just tender, (DO NOT OVERCOOK); drain.
- Place sprouts in a six-cup oven proof casserole dish.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons melted butter over the sprouts and mix well to coat.
- Brussel sprouts should be in a single layer.
- Meanwhile, combine Parmesan cheese, dried bread crumbs, granulated garlic powder, black pepper, seasoning salt and remaining 3 tablespoons butter and mix well.
- Sprinkle mixture over the Brussels sprouts.
- Place casserole dish about 3 inches below broiler in oven and broil on HIGH for about 5 minutes or until the crumb mixture is lightly browned.
- Serve hot.