1/1 Photo of Bread Stuffing With Mushrooms and Bacon
2 hrs 20 mins
I first made this dressing a few years ago for Thanksgiving, and it is now our traditional dressing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 lbs sourdough bread, 1/2-inch cubes
- 12 slices bacon, 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium leeks, chopped
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried sage
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1Preheat oven to 325ºF. Spread bread cubes on 2 baking sheets. Bake until bread cubes are dry and crisp, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Transfer bread to large bowl.
- 2Saute bacon in heavy skillet over medium-high heat until brown and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels and drain.
- 3Pour off all but 1/4 cup drippings from skillet. Add chopped leeks and celery to skillet and saute until tender and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, sage, thyme, salt and pepper and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- 4Pour mushroom mixture over bread cubes. Add bacon and toss to blend. Mix in 2 cups broth. (Stuffing can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
- 5Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter 13x9x2" glass baking dish.
- 6Beat eggs and baking powder in small bowl to blend. Mix eggs into stuffing; moisten stuffing with more broth if stuffing is dry.
- 7Transfer to prepared baking dish. Bake stuffing until cooked through and golden brown on top, about 1 hour.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread Stuffing With Mushrooms and Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.3
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 50.6 mg
- Sodium 910.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 9.8 g