1/1 Photo of Bread Stuffing W/ Pears, Bacon, Pecans & Caramelized Onions
1 hr 20 mins
I found this recipe at the Pear Bureau Northwest sight. It's filled with Bread Stuffing w/ Pears, Bacon, Pecans or Chestnuts, Caramelized Onions, rosemary, thyme, & sage. This can be baked it beforehand and reheat it once the turkey is out unlesss you have room in the oven can be put in 30 minutes before turkey is removed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 10 cups unseasoned dry bread cubes
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted rough chopped
- 1 1/4 lbs frozen pearl onions, thawed and blotted dry
- 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
- 3 firm but ripe bosc pears or 3 Anjou pears, peeled,halved lengthwise,cored,and cut into ¾ inch dice
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or 4 cups fresh turkey broth
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Coat a deep, 9-by-13-inch baking pan with the butter.
- 3Place the bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl.
- 4In a 10-inch saute pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- 5Using a slotted spoon drain the bacon and add to the bread in the bowl.
- 6Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pan, reserving the extra.
- 7Add the onions to the pan and saute over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until soft and lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- 8Sprinkle the sugar over the onions and saute, stirring constantly, until the onions turn golden and the edges caramelize, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 9Add to the bread in the bowl.
- 10Return the pan to medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat and swirl to coat the pan.
- 11Add the pears and celery and saute, stirring frequently, until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- 12Add pecans, rosemary, parsley, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper to taste, and saute 1 minute longer.
- 13Add this mixture to the bread cubes, and stir to combine.
- 14Add the beaten eggs and stock to the bowl, and mix well.
- 15Place the stuffing in the prepared pan and bake, uncovered, until the top is lightly browned and crusty, about 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Pears Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pears Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread Stuffing W/ Pears, Bacon, Pecans & Caramelized Onions
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.6
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 68.2 mg
- Sodium 607.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 8.8 g