Recipe by Vegan Thanksgiving!
This recipe was a Betty Crocker favorite from our Standard American Diet days. We veganized and substituted gluten-free bread. It's is pretty tasty (especially topped with a little Easy Gravy...see that recipe), but next time we'll reduce the fat by half and include a half-cup (maybe more) of Kitchen Basics brand vegetable broth, which we'll sprinkle over the bread cubes to soften them up a little.
- 3⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup vegan margarine (use 1/2 cup next time)
- 9 cups gluten-free vegan bread cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth (next time add to bread cubes)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook and stir onion and celery in vegan margarine until onion is tender. (Next time, sprinkle 1/2 or more of Kitchen Basics brand vegetable broth to soften bread crumbs.)
- Stir in about 1/3 of the bread cubes. Turn into a deep bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss.
- Bake covered at 325 for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 5 minutes.