Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have used this recipe for over 30 years now (as did my mother)--and everyone loves it! An absolute requirement at our Thanksgiving Holiday table. Recipe makes enough for a 12-pound turkey, and is easily doubled. I have included the optional technique for making stuffing balls. Enjoy! Adapted from Betty Crocker. Note: see tip for freezing.
- 177.44 ml finely chopped onion
- 354.88 ml chopped celery (with leaves)
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 236.59 ml butter
- 2129.31 ml soft bread cubes
- 9.85 ml salt
- 7.39 ml dried sage
- 1.23 ml ground sage
- 4.92 ml dried thyme leaves
- 1.23 ml poultry seasoning
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- Cook and stir onion and celery in butter in 10 to 12 inch skillet until onion is tender. Stir in about 1/3 of the bread cubes. Turn into a deep bowl. Add remaining ingredients; toss. Stuff turkey just before roasting. 9 cups stuffing.
- STUFFING BALLS: Shape stuffing by 1/2 cupfuls into balls; place in greased baking dish. Cover and cook in 325 degree F oven 30 minutes. Uncover and cook 15 minutes longer. 10 Stuffing Balls.
- NOTE: To make Corn Bread Stuffing, you can substitute corn bread cubes for the soft bread cubes.
- Tip for freezing for Thanksgiving/Christmas:.
- NOTE: The unbaked stuffing mixture will freeze great in containers or freezer bags to serve later. To reheat: Thaw and bake it in a greased dish, (rather than in the bird)at 350°F until golden brown on top (about 30 minutes covered, then uncover and bake for 15 minutes more). Don't overbake!
This recipe is sooo good, my family raved and raved how good my dressing was and I have been cooking for over 50 years. It was by far the best recipe I have ever had!!! Thank you so very much for sharing this.
Great stuffing recipe! I wanted something very simple and this did the trick. The amount was more than enough our 6kg bird -- I had enough to make 6 stuffing balls for baking on their own as well as filling the turkey. By the way, 9 cups of stuffing worked out to nearly 1 loaf of bread. I think we had about 5 slices left over.
My husband loves this stuffing. Its really great because you can add anything you like to change it for different occasions. It is great with mushrooms (our favorite). I make it often with chicken. Don't let the long list of ingriedients fool you, its very simple, and you will impress your friends and family with homemade stuffing! Thanks for posting!