Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here's a family favorite that's been lost in modern cooking. Try it on chicken or roast beef. You will not be disappointed, I promise!
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pinch mace
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cream
- white pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 cup fresh white bread, crumbs no crusts
- Stick cloves on onion. Place milk and mace in a heavy-based pan.
- Add onion and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or so to flavor the milk throughly. Remove the onion and any cloves that may have come out.
- Add butter, cream, seasonings and bread crumbs; beating constantly over low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Serve hot over roast beef of chicken.