Recipe by Sharon123
This is a lovely salad that can be added to as you desire. I got this from a olive oil recipe site. Enjoy!
Top Review by hepcat1
We really enjoyed this yummy salad! My husband said it tasted like a gourmet tuna sandwich without the mess, which I guess makes sense when you look at all the ingredients. I just eyeballed the vinegar and oil, so I can't really say how much went in, but I believe it to be pretty close to what was called for. It was really good. My husband also commented that he thought it would be a great summertime salad entree. I agree!
- 8 -10 ounces rustic bread, cut into 1/2 inch wide slices
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped (use white and green parts)
- 3 -4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) can tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1 large tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 2 stalks celery hearts, sliced
- 4 tablespoons drained capers
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast the bread.
- Cut into 1/2-inch cubes; set aside.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the dark green scallion stems.
- In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar and salt.
- Add 1/2 cup oil and whisk to combine.
- Add the tuna, tomato, all the chopped scallions except reserved stems, celery, 4 tablespoons capers, and bread.
- Toss and set aside for 15 to 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Toss occasionally.
- Taste a bread cube.
- If it seems too dry, drizzle with a bit more oil or a few tablespoons of cold water.
- If too bland, add up to 1 tablespoon more vinegar and 1 tablespoon more capers.
- Sprinkle each serving with scallion stems.