Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
From a German website. Untried. Preparation time includes rising time.
- 675 g bread flour
- 9.85 ml salt
- 7 g package dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 450 ml milk
- 29.58 ml milk, extra
- 20 g poppy seeds
- In a bowl combine flour, salt and dry yeast. Add soft butter and knead well.
- Add just enough lukewarm milk that smooth dough results. Knead for another 10 minutes on a working space sprinkled with flour. The dough should be soft and flexible.
- Divide into 12 equal pieces and form rolls. Put on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with a cloth; let rise at warm temperature for about 1 hour. The rolls should be double in size.
- With a sharp knife slash the rolls once lengthwise. Brush on some cold milk and sprinkle with poppy seed, sesame seed, sunflower kernels or coarse sea salt.
- Bake at 230 C / 445 F on the middle rung for approximately 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack.
These were so easy to make and so yummy! I topped ours with poppy seeds. The rising time was 1 1/2 hours. But then again - it has been rather cold here. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to make them again! Made for the April 2010 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.