Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 slices stale bread
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separatged
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄8 cup butter
- BREAD PUDDING:
- Break bread into ovenproof dish (1-1/2 quart at least).
- Soften bread with small amount of milk.
- Beat sugar and egg yolks.
- Add milk, stir well.
- Add vanilla and salt.
- Pour milk mixture over bread.
- Fold in raisins if used.
- Cut butter into chunks and fold in.
- Place dish in pan of water and bake at 300 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until a silver knife inserted comes out clean.
- Make meringue adding 2 level tablespoons sugar to each egg white.
- Spread, and return to 350 degree oven until brown (browning in a slow oven prevents falling).
- Serve warm
- WHISKEY SAUCE:
- Cook until dissolved.
- Remove from heat, add whiskey to individual taste.
I don't care for bread pudding, but my husband requested it tonight. I asked him to print me a recipe off of zaar and this is the one he picked. Unfortunately, we didn't care for this recipe. I will probably try again with less eggs and more bread and vanilla and also add cinnamon.
Did not care for this recipe at all. I thought that the amount of liquid to bread was high but followed the directions and it never firmed up until after I put the meringue on top and baked it. The sauce is also not what I was hoping it would be.
Made this with the end of a loaf of When Pigs Fly anadama bread. Heaven, heaven, heaven!