Recipe by Tender Vittles
I got this recipe from a friend. Every time she makes this for a party, she has to give out the recipe. I never liked bread pudding until I tasted this recipe. I am posting because this version is just too good not to share.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened, 1 stick)
- 1 (16 ounce) French bread
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup whiskey (I use Jack Daniels)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread butter over bottom of 13x9 baking pan. Break up french bread into bite size pieces and put in pan.
- Whisk eggs until frothy.
- Whisk into the eggs, the milk, cream, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Pour liquid over the bread pieces.
- Press bread and liquid down with a spatula until the bread is completely saturated.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour (top will be puffy and lightly browned).
- Melt butter over low heat in a small saucepan.
- Stir in all other ingredients EXCEPT egg.
- Cook until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is blended.
- Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg until frothy.
- Vigorously whisk the egg into the sauce mixture.
- Set the sauce over medium heat and stir gently; bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and cool until thickened, about one minute.
- Pour over bread pudding when the bread pudding is finished.