Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Mimi's Cafe bread pudding. Sinfully delicious!
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
warm whiskey sauce
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup whiskey
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Soak raisins in warm water for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Lighly grease a 9-inch-glass casserole and fill with French bread cubes(use enough bread to come all the way to the top of the pan).
- Sprinkle raisins on top.
- In large bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, beaten eggs, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and melted butter.
- Pour over the bread and raisins and lighly fold in using a spatula.
- Allow the bread to soak for 30 minutes. The pan will be very full. If you have too much batter, discard the excess. If there is not enough to fill the pan add additional half-and-half or milk.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the pudding is golden brown and puffed up around the edges. The center should be "set" but still a little soft.
- To make the whiskey sauce:
- In a small bowl beat eggs together with whiskey. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add the sugar and stir well.
- Remove from the heat, let cool slightly. Quickly whisk in the beaten eggs and whiskey.
- Place the sauce back on the stove over low heat and whisk constantly until the sauce has slightly thickened, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- NOTE: If over cooked the sauce will curdle.
- Keep warm until serving.
Thanks so much! My hubby, mother-in-law, and I loved it!! The sauce is especially delicious.
I know I can olnly do this before drinking and be sure I am sober!
OMG did I love this! It is sooo good! And the warm whiskey sauce only adds to it. Comfort food at its best. Worth more than 5 stars! Thanks GW for sharing this!