food girl's Note:
This bread pudding always gets rave reviews, and you'll get cravings for it! Don't bring it to parties, because you'll never get a bite! The rum just adds that je-ne-sais-quoi. Scotch also makes a nice substitute, but it's not quite the same.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3-1/2 loaf of day old vienna bread or 1/3-1/2 loaf French bread (any other crusty bread will do)
- 3 cups milk, separated
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 teaspoons rum
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- raisins (optional)
- 1Cube bread and place, crust side down, into a casserole dish.
- 2Scald 1 1/2 cups milk and pour over bread.
- 3Let sit 15 mins (or up to 25 if bread is really crusty/hard).
- 4Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 5Whisk eggs with spices and salt.
- 6Add sugar and whisk until dissolved.
- 7Add remaining ingredients.
- 8Scald remaining 1 1/2 cups milk.
- 9Add milk to egg mixture in 1/2 cup increments and whisk thoroughly after each addition.
- 10Pour mixture over bread.
- 11Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until top browns and a fork inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 12Meanwhile, mix together rum and brown sugar.
- 13Add just enough water to obtain a molasses-like consistency.
- 14About 7 minutes before the end of baking, spoon topping mixture on.
- 15Serve warm.
- 16Reheats well.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread Pudding with Rum
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.1
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 122.8 mg
- Sodium 599.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 23.6 g
- Protein 13.0 g