Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great desert fit to serve any company. The Raspberry/Strawberry Topping is the key to this recipe. From the Hacienda Antigua Bed & Breakfast altered a tad to our liking. Prep time does not include letting the bread set overnight.
- French bread, Enough to cover a 9x13 inch pan cut in 1 inch cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup dried currant
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
RASPBERRY or STRAWBERRY TOPPING
- 2 cups fresh raspberries or 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 2 cups fresh strawberries or 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Blend all of the Custard ingredients together.
- Prepare a 9x13 inch pan lightly sprayed with a vegetable oil sray and lined with 1 inch slices of French bread.
- Leave the pan of bread (covered but not sealed tightly) overnight to dry on the counter.
- In the morning, preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Pour the custard over the bread.
- Decorate with a scattering of cinnamon powder and bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
- For the topping.
- Heat the mixture in a sauce pan until it boils. Puree and serve warm over the bread pudding.
- Serve with mixed fresh fruit in season.
This was wonderful and EASY. I used Raspberry and it gave it a great snap. It was nice and creamy. The topping using raspberries was , in my opinion, a better choice than strawberries. I also used Splenda and You could not tell the difference between that and sugar. Thanks for a great recipe.
Well, this was sure a pleasure. We enjoyed it very much. We had frozen rasberries on hand. The great thing about this is that the combo of nutmeg, orange juice, and vanilla made the flavor excellent, and a winner. Thanks for posting.
What a wonderful breakfast I had this morning. I will confess to using whole wheat bread (thats what I use for everything) and lightening it skim milk and fat free evaporated milk. Quite honestly nobody would care that it's a bit more healthy with the cuts because it is so good! As we are doing a reno and I'm struggling to do the best I can with what I have to work with I simply fork mashed the strawberries, added a bit of Splenda, o.j.. The vanilla, nutmeg, berries and o.j. made this a pure pleasure.