Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mother has made this for longest time and it was only after my husband said "I love this!" did I ever get the recipe. I am posting as my old recipe card (in her handwriting) is just about worn out and I don't ever want to lose this recipe.
- Cut or tear bread into 1-2" pieces.
- Scald milk (2 minutes in microwave or until film forms on stove top).
- Pour milk over bread for 5 minutes.
- In separate bowl, mix sugar, beaten eggs butter & vanilla.
- Slowly pour over bread/milk mixture and fold lightly.
- Stir in raisins.
- Pour into greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Bake in pan of hot water in 350º oven until firm (approx. 1 hour).
- Serve warm with Poor Mans Sauce.
- For Sauce:.
- In medium saucepan on stove top, combine sugar, flour and slowly add water to form a smooth paste.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until clear and thick.
- Stir in butter, vanilla & nutmeg.
- Pour over bread pudding and enjoy!
I loved this recipe! I didn't have any raisins on hand, so I used dried cranberries instead. The sauce was a little too sweet for me, so I will make it without the sauce next time. Great recipe!