1 hr 15 mins
My mother has made this for longest time and it was only after my husband said "I love this!" did I ever get the recipe. I am posting as my old recipe card (in her handwriting) is just about worn out and I don't ever want to lose this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups stale bread
- 4 cups milk, scalded
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup raisins
For the Sauce
- 1Cut or tear bread into 1-2" pieces.
- 2Scald milk (2 minutes in microwave or until film forms on stove top).
- 3Pour milk over bread for 5 minutes.
- 4In separate bowl, mix sugar, beaten eggs butter & vanilla.
- 5Slowly pour over bread/milk mixture and fold lightly.
- 6Stir in raisins.
- 7Pour into greased 2 quart baking dish.
- 8Bake in pan of hot water in 350º oven until firm (approx. 1 hour).
- 9Serve warm with Poor Mans Sauce.
- 10For Sauce:.
- 11In medium saucepan on stove top, combine sugar, flour and slowly add water to form a smooth paste.
- 12Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until clear and thick.
- 13Stir in butter, vanilla & nutmeg.
- 14Pour over bread pudding and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread Pudding With Poor Mans Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.5
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 130.4 mg
- Sodium 322.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 42.7 g
- Protein 8.6 g