4 hrs 30 mins
by the famous Daniel Boulud Can be prepared up to six hours in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried cranberries (about 5 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 5 fresh mint sprigs
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1.5 (3 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- six 2 1/2-inch rounds challah
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1Put the dried cranberries in a small bowl and cover with 1/2 cup of warm water. Set aside to plump for about 20 minutes.
- 2Preheat the oven to 325°. In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, heavy cream, lemon zest, orange zest and 4 mint sprigs. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the milk and add the bean to the saucepan. Bring to a boil over moderate heat. Remove from the heat and stir for a few minutes to cool slightly. Whisk in the sugar and the gelatin and set aside for 3 minutes, then whisk again. Strain the mixture into a heatproof measuring cup.
- 3Drain the cranberries and divide them among six 1/2-cup ramekins set on a baking sheet. Stir the milk mixture once and pour it over the cranberries, filling the ramekins. Top each with a challah round. Bake the puddings for 20 minutes, or until the custard is bubbling and still wobbly. Remove from the oven.
- 4Preheat the broiler. Broil the puddings for about 30 seconds just to toast the bread rounds.
- 5Let the custards cool, then refrigerate until completely set, at least 4 but not more than 6 hours.
- 6Just before serving, melt the raspberry jam in a small nonreactive skillet over low heat. Run a knife around the inside of each ramekin to loosen the bread puddings and invert them onto dessert plates.
- 7Spoon a little of the raspberry jam over and around them. Garnish each plate with a few mint leaves from the remaining sprig and serve.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread Pudding With Dried Cranberries, Vanilla, and Mint
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 492.9
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 90.0 mg
- Sodium 102.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 38.6 g
- Protein 21.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: