Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
I have not tired this recipe YET and am posting it so I won't misplace it. I am planning to do so this weekend b/c I love bread pudding and I love cherries and it's a three day weekend. Yea! I will toast the bread in the toaster oven and bake in the oven rather than use a grill.
- 10 slices French bread (approximately 5 cups cubed)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt (optional)
- Grill the bread over direct medium heat until toasted and grill marks appear, about 2 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- Cut bread into cubes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until frothy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, and melted butter. Beat until well blended.
- Add milk, then stir in dried cherries and lemon zest.
- Add bread cubes and toss until mixed well.
- Let rest for about 45 minutes, patting the bread down into the liquid occasionally.
- Transfer bread and egg mixture to a 5- by 9-inch loaf pan.
- Place pan in center of cooking grate and grill over indirec medium heat for 50 to 60 minutes or until top is well-browned and puffy.
- Slice and serve warm with low-fat frozen yogurt, if desired.
I made this tonight for dessert and it turned out great. I did do a little modifying though. Instead of the 1 1/4 cups of sugar, I replaced it with 3/4 cup of Splenda (Dad's a diabetic). I couldn't find the dried cherries so I substitued dried cranberries. I baked it at 350 for an hour. Great with sugar-free ice cream! Thanks!