Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is delicious as a dessert or a make ahead breakfast or brunch item. The pudding can easily sit overnight in the refrigerator before baking and tastes good cold too. I use any leftovers from my Oatmeal Molasses Bread for this recipe, but as long as the bread is not sliced sandwich bread, most breads will work. The dairy can be done in a variety of ways, depending on what you have on hand. I have even made this with 1% and it turns out fine, but not as creamy.
- Grease a 2 quart, oven safe dish or casserole.
- Put dried bread cubes in dish and sprinkle with dried fruit.
- Mix together eggs, cream, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture over top of bread cubes.
- Allow to sit at least 30 minutes, but more time is better.
- Mix crumb topping by cutting the butter into the flour and brown sugar.
- Sprinkle topping over the pudding mixture and bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove from oven when a skewer inserted near the center comes out clean, but there is still a little pudding on it. There will be carry over cooking, so keep that in mind.
- Let cool to desired temperature. This is great warm or cold.