Recipe by miss gracie
Warning: Not for those watching calories or cholesterol! This is my all-time favorite bread pudding recipe. Perfect for fall/winter special occasions. Serve with sweetened whipped cream.
For the Pudding
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream or 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 -2 granny smith apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups plain croissants or 4 cups crustless bread, torn in pieces
For Maple Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- For the pudding:.
- Heat butter in skillet and saute apple with 1 teaspoon sugar until soft. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Mix in eggs, cream, cinnamon, vanilla, cranberries, apples, and croissants. Let stand 10 minutes or longer.
- Pour mixture into a 9 inch square baking pan. Set pan in a larger pan and fill larger pan with water to the 1/2 way point of the 9 inch pan. Cover pudding with foil and bake 45 minutes covered. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes to brown top.
- Let pudding rest 10 minutes before serving.
- For the sauce:.
- In a small bowl, mix together water and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat cream, maple syrup, and cinnamon until hot. Stir in cornstarch mixure. Continue stirring and bring to a boil to thicken.
- Serve pudding drizzled with maple sauce and topped with a dollop of whipped cream.