Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe in Gourmet August 2008. Posted for safe keeping.
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 bunch scallion, sliced using only half of the green parts
- 4 cups corn kernels, fresh recommended can use frozen
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika or 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper, plus extra
- paprika or red chili pepper, to sprinkle on top
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley, can use cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill, can use basil
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 5 cups cubed bread, without crusts
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 3 qt gratin dish or casserole.
- Heat oil in a wide skillet over med high heat. Add the scallions, corn and paprika (or red chile) and cook until the scallions have softened and the corn is heated through, about 4 minutes.
- Season with 1/2 tsp salt and stir in the parsley or dill.
- Whisk the eggs and milk with 1/2 tsp salt and pour it over bread in a bowl. Add the corn mixture and cheese and transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Pour over the half and half or milk.
- Bake until puffed and browned about 45 minutes. Add dash of paprika or chile to the top and serve.
My first try at savory bread pudding, and a great success! I used whole grain bread, crust and all, and it was good. I also skipped the paprika and chili pepper, and used my favorite McCormick blend. Also, I replaced half of the corn with fresh chopped broccoli. I will definately make this again!