Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This bread pudding is "kicked up a notch," and is a favorite at potlucks.
- 3⁄4 cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon quatre-epices (allspice, cloves, nutmeg and ginger)
- 1 pinch cardamom
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 cups cinnamon-swirl bread, 1-inch cubed
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin, soaked in
- Southern Comfort
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Southern Comfort
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x9 baking pan.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the sugar, vanilla and spices.
- Add the half & half.
- Add the bread cubes and raisins to the baking pan.
- Pour the liquid over the bread mixture, allowing the bread to soak up the custard.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the pudding has a golden brown color and is firm to the touch. If a toothpick inserted in the pudding comes out clean, it is done.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- For the Comfort Sauce,.
- Place the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a boil.
- Whisk the corn starch and water together, and add to the cream while whisking. Bring to a boil. Whisk and let simmer for a few seconds, taking care not to burn the mixture on the bottom. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the sugar and the Southern Comfort. The sauce should have a thick consistency.
- Serve with the sauce poured over the bread pudding.
This was comfort food enough for me without the sauce. I used fruit bread and added extra cinnamon - yum and thansk !! Made for fall PAC.