Recipe by Manami
Was going to make this today, but was stumped by the "American Custard Dessert Mix" so, we decided it was best to make a regular bread pudding, instead. Woe is me! This is one of Sandra Lee's recipes that I found on the internet, I had already changed it a bit before I cooked it. I planned to soak the raisins in the rum, for 5 minutes, and then add them.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 lb purchased brioche bread
- 5 cups cold whole milk
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) boxesjello brand american custard mix
- 1⁄3 cup dark rum
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces, lightly toasted & chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin (optional)
CARAMEL RUM SAUCE
- 2⁄3 cup butterscotch caramel sauce (Smucker's)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
Directions See How It's Made
- BREAD PUDDING:.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray a 13x9" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Soak the raisins in the rum for at least 5 minutes.
- Tear brioche into 1" pieces and place in prepared dish.
- In a large bowl, combine milk. custard dessert mix, eggs and mutmeg.
- Whisk until well blended.
- Stir in nuts and raisins, if using.
- Pour over brioche; press down gently on brioche to submerge into custard.
- Let stand 10 minutes, or until brioche absorbs custard slightly.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until top is golden brown and bread pudding puffs.
- Serve warm with Caramel Rum Sauce.
- CARAMEL RUM SAUCE:.
- Combine caramel sauce, cream and rum in medium glass bowl.
- Heat in microwave for 45 seconds.
- Whisk to blend.
- Drizzle over bread pudding.
- Serve warm and enjoy!