Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This Southern Bread Pudding is luscious. Be sure to serve the bourbon sauce while it is slightly warm. Quite often, this is our family's choice of holiday desserts. This came from an old southern cookbook many years ago.
- Combine bread and milk in a large mixing bowl; set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, sugar, raisins, butter and vanilla; stir well.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 3 quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325°F for 1 hour or until firm.
- Cool in pan at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Spoon into individual serving bowls; serve with Bourbon Sauce.
- Bourbon Sauce: Combine butter and sugar in a small saucepan; cook over medium, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves.
- Add egg, stirring briskly with a wire whisk until well blended.
- Cook over medium heat 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly; stir in bourbon.
Absolutely Delicious! I made the bread pudding using a 16 ounce loaf of Cinnamon raisin bread instead of the french bread and it was soooo good. I didn't add any extra raisins and it came out perfect. The bourbon sauce was to die for! Thanks so much for posting this recipe! 10 stars if i could! -Italianmomof2
Soak the raisins in bourbon! Also added almond extract to the bread pudding.
Absolutely fantastic even though I screwed it up. I used day old ciabatta bread instead of french bread (which I do not recommend) because it was unable to absorb enough of the milk mixture but the top that set up was delicious! The bourbon sauce was wonderful! I will definitely be making this again but I will use french bread instead of ciabatta.