Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a cross between my two favorite breakfast foods: french toast and blueberry muffins! This recipe has less sugar than a lot of other bread puddings I have seen which I love about it, and wheat bread works fine too. You can add the optional cinnamon sugar topping for an extra sugary crunch before baking, or it is great with cinnamon syrup or vanilla sauce over the top!
- 5 cups dry bread, cubed
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup cinnamon sugar (optional)
- With a whisk, combine half and half, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, salt, vanilla and almond extract in a large bowl.
- Add bread cubes and stir until well coated.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8x8 pan.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. (For firmer consistency, baking time may be a little longer).
- Serve with cinnamon syrup or vanilla sauce.
What a delicious breakfast! I ended up doubling the recipe and used Splenda instead of sugar and egg substitute. I didn't have any almond extract but the dish tasted great without it. I also eliminated the sugar topping to save some extra calories. This will definitely be made again--thanks for posting!
How can something so quick and easy taste so delicious?! This was marvelous and I added a dollop of whipped cream. I used a plain white bread. I wonder how it would be with croissants? I used some of the most delicious blueberries I have ever tasted. Plus my half and half was not fat free. I also added the cinnamon sugar.
This is excellent! It really smells like french toast. I used the cinnamon-sugar topping and it's one of the best parts :) I was looking for challah but couldn't find it so used what was labeled "Sweet Italian Sub Buns". I cubed the bread, spread it out on a pan and left it sit in the oven (off) overnight with the door cracked. I planned on making this yesterday but my plans changed so the bread sat out another day - probably a good thing in the end. Thanks so much for the recipe!