Recipe by Kagemi
Got this recipe from the Panera Bread web site. I love bread pudding and always looking for great recipes. I haven't made it yet but wanted to store it here.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
This certainly wasn't the kind of bread pudding I'm used to, but that didn't detract from it's great taste! I did substitute 3/4 of a 1-pound loaf of nutty, whole grain bread for the cinnamon swirl kind, then added 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon & a cup of dark raisins to help make up for the intended bread's flavor! Also used a blackberry jam! Absolutely wonderful combo of flavors! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed during this Spring's Pick A Chef event]
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 loaf cinnamon, raisin white bread torn into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, large
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or 1 tablespoon rum
- 8 small baking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (Fuji, Gala or Granny Smith)
- 1⁄2 cup apples, quince or 1⁄2 cup blackberry jam or 1⁄2 cup jelly
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the bread and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until well coated.
- Add the sugar, pecans, orange zest and juice, cider, and vanilla extract.
- Cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes until a sauce begins to form.
- In a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, layer the bread mixture with the apples and dot the top with the jam or jelly.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly.