Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
We like this with golden raisins. It's also good with dried cranberries, cherries or raisins. A bit of orange zest or flavoring is good with the cranberries and a bit of almond extract with the cherries. Prep time includes the 60 minute refrigeration time.
- 2 golden delicious apples or 2 jonagold apples
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 plain croissants
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- Peel, core and dice apples.
- Lightly saute in butter and put on the side.
- Cut croissants into bite size pieces.
- Toss with apples and raisins.
- Place in greased 2 1/2 qt.
- deep round cassarole dish.
- Mix eggs, yolks, sugar and vanilla together.
- Add cream and milk.
- Pour over croissant/apple mixture and refrigerate for one hour.
- Push mixture down once or twice while in refrigerator to allow croissants to absorb egg and cream mixture.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover dish with foil and bake in shallow hot water bath for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes.
- Center should be set and top lightly browned and puffy before removing from the oven.
- Serve warm or cold.