Bread Pudding With Apples
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Peel, core, and cut apples into large dice. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large, heavy skillet. Add apples, sprinkling with 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Saute over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove crusts from bread and cut into 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubes. Liberally grease a deep, 2 1/2 quart, baking dish with the remaining 1/4 cup butter, then add what is left to the bread cubes, cutting into bits. Combine bread, raising, apples, and the pan juices into the baking dish.
- Combine eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg, beating lightly with a whisk. Pour over bread and apples.
- Set dish in a shallow pan filled with 1-inch warm water. Bake for 1 1/2 hours until set. (This may take 2 hours, depending on type of casserole dish.) Serve hot with lightly whipped cream.