Recipe by Ackman
I've loved Bread Pudding since I was a little boy! I don't believe there's such a thing as BAD Bread Pudding, but I DO believe this is perhaps the BEST I've ever had...hope it's yours, too! This is VERY rich & is best served warm w/ warm sauce. I suppose you could substitute vanilla or almond extract for the whiskey, but I've never done it.
For the pudding
- 1 small loaf French bread
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
For the sauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons whiskey (I prefer Jack Daniel's)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the pudding:.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Tear the french bread into small pieces, a little bigger than a quarter, into a large bowl.
- Combine the chopped dates & the milk with the bread & let stand for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Beat together the remaining ingredients until well blended & gently stir into the bread mixture, until well blended.
- Put into a lightly greased 9 X 9 pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a knife, inserted into the center, comes out clean.
- For the whiskey sauce:.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Stir in the sugar, egg yolk & water.
- Stir constantly on medium heat until sugar is dissolved & sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat & stir in the whiskey.