Recipe by terriers2
I had never had Bread Pudding before I went to Vegas and had it at a buffet. Well, I fell in love. My obsession use to be chocolate, but since I've lost 52 lbs. I gave it up. NOW, my obsession has become THIS version of Bread Pudding. ( I have to be careful how much of this I make, so I don't gain all of that chocolate weight back!) I found this recipe on the "Momswhothink.com" website and I hope it is ok to post it here. This is true comfort food. Do not over bake or you will lose the eggy texture of the bread. The cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla are the key ingredients to the rich flavor of this dessert. I use french bread, and have even used dry bread that has been sitting around a few days. I even used wheat french bread once and it turned out great! The sauce is more a vanilla, butter, cream sauce. I usually make about 4 times (yes, that is what I said!) in order to smother the bread pudding. One recipe of it is just not enough. Ummm. Make the sauce while the pudding is baking and you will save time. You can also use a Hard Sauce if you would rather. (Hard Sauce for Bread Pudding or Cake sounds like a good one.) Even if you have never tried Bread Pudding, be daring, and try it. I use to turn my nose up at it, and now, I cannot wait for an excuse to make it, again and again. Enjoy!
- bread pudding
- 2 cups whole milk (or 2 cups half & half)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar (light or dark, depending on taste preference)
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 3 cups bread, torn into small pieces (french bread works best)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional, YUCK, but I did think dried cranberries might be good!)
- bread pudding, sauce
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 dash salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Bread Pudding Directions.
- In medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat milk (or half & half) just until film forms over top. Combine butter and milk, stirring until butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm.
- Combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute. Slowly add milk mixture.
- Place bread in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with raisins if desired. Pour batter on top of bread.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Serve warm.
- Bread Pudding Sauce Recipe.
- Mix everything together and bring to a boil for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Set aside for 5 minutes, then pour on warm bread pudding.