Recipe by geraldinegauci
This is an old Maltese recipe which my grandmother used to make for us on Sunday.
- 800 g stale bread
- 560 ml milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 glass brandy or 1 glass rum
- 2 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 ounces sugar
- 3 drops vanilla essence
- 2 ounces candied peel
- 3 1⁄2 ounces raisins
- peel of 1 orange, grated
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 ounces of crushed almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the crust from the bread.
- Soak the bread in the milk until it becomes soft.
- Add the margarine, sugar, candied fruit, chocolate powder andthe brandy to the bread and milk mixture.
- Mix well using your fingers.
- Beat the eggs lightly and add to the mixture along with the vanilla extract and the raisins.
- Grease a baking dish with the margarine and spread the mixture in it.
- Sprinkle with crushed almonds on top of the mixture and bake in a moderate oven for about half an hour.
- Serve cold.