Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
This will make about 12 pancakes, you may wish to double the recipe... throw in some raisins also! Serve these with syrup...DELICIOUS! Must use stale but not hard bread for this.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar (add more for a sweeter taste)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional or to taste)
- 7 slices bread, crusts removed (use firm white sandwich bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream or 2 cups use full-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (can use more to taste)
- extra butter (for frying)
- In a small bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Place the bread in a large bowl and add/pour in the half and half or milk; toss gently to combine with a spoon; let stand until the bread is very soft and is beginning to fall apart, stirring the mixture occasionally (this should take about 8-10 minutes).
- Add the flour/cinnamon mixture to the softened bread mixture; mix to blend.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, 3 tablespoons melted butter and vanilla; add to the bread mixture, then let stand for 15 minutes.
- Set oven to 250°.
- Prepare a baking sheet.
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet (use as much as desired) over medium heat.
- Drop batter by about 1/4 cup into skillet.
- Cook the pancakes until bubbles form on the surface and the bottoms are brown (about 2 minutes).
- Using a spatula carefully turn the pancakes over and cook for about 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer the pancakes to the baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- Repeat with any remaining batter adding in more butter as needed.
Yummo, these are great. I did a half batch using some leftover hot dog rolls. I made the mixture the night before so in the morning it was quite thick & I needed to add a little more liquid. I used light cream and Splenda and these were great to eat on their own without any toppings, lovely & flavourful. WE ate the leftovers cold with banana & maple and they were great too!