Recipe by Lennie
I have no idea where I got this recipe, but it is handwritten in a small book where I saved recipes back in the mid-80s. I haven't made this in ages, but I do recall I used to make it a lot. I think I will make it again today! :-) Ordinary sandwich bread works fine, or use a spiffier bread to make a spiffier pudding. Serve with a vanilla custard sauce, whipped cream, or even ice cream.
- 4 cups lightly packed bread, cut in cubes (about 4 or 5 slices of bread)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 cups milk (not skim)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 large eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread bread cubes evenly in an 8-inch round glass pan.
- Sprinkle with the sugar, salt, and raisins.
- Place milk in a 4-cup glass measuring cup and add the butter.
- Microwave on High for four minutes, until butter melts and milk is warm.
- Rapidly, stir in eggs with a fork or small whisk and combine well.
- Pour over bread.
- Microwave on Medium-High for 9 to 12 minutes.
- When cooked, centre may still be slightly soft, but does set up as pudding cools.
- Serve warm or chilled; your preference.