Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A bread pudding dessert New Orleans style
Make and share this Bread Pudding and Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup brandy or 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup pouring cream
- 1 cup brown sugar, measured packed tightly
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1 loaf French bread, using day old bread cut in to 1 inch cubes (no need to remove crusts)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, measured packed tightly
- 6 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons brandy or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Grease a shallow baking dish (2-1/2-qt size).
- Add the raisings and brandy (or apple juice) to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from head and set aside.
- Using a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cream, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and nutmeg.
- Stir in the melted butter and the raisin mixture.remaining butter and reserved raisin mixture.
- Gently stir in the cubes bread and allow to stand for about 15 minutes. During this time the bread will soften as it absorbs the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased baking sidh.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre of the pudding comes out clean.
- To prepare the sauce- again using a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the cold water and mix well.
- Bring this mixture to a boil over head and stir for about 2 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the butter and brandy (or vanilla).
- Serve the sauce over the bread pudding.
I used golden raisins, apple juice Splenda brown sugar blend. The bread pudding turned out fluffy and moist and the caramel sauce was very easy to make and the perfect compliment for this dish. I'm used to bread pudding with a vanilla sauce, but this was a very good version too. Bread pudding is one of my FIL's favorite desserts so I took some over to my in-law's. They both gave it 5 stars. Made for July 2013 Aus/NZ Swap.
I made two version of this lovely Bread Pudding. One as written and one for my dairy and gluten allergies. Both were absolutely delicious (yes, I ate the regular one, by accident, I paid but it was worth every bite! lol). Instead of brandy I used Triple Sec which I had on hand already. Hubby loved it too and said he could have eaten the whole pan. I always thought of bread pudding as slimy & mushy, this was neither, I think whomever made it for me was 'doin' it wrong'. Thanks for a recipe I'll be making again and again, Jubes !<br/>Made during ZWT9, Bread N'awlins Style Challenge for my team, Tasty Testers!
I used golden sultanas and apple juice, and served the caramel sauce separately as general consensus was that it was very sweet and went excellently with vanilla icecream, very much enjoyed, I might say! This recipe was made for the N 'Awlins Challenge, ZWT9, Hot Pink Panthers On The Prowl, thank you Jubes