Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe makes a softer bread pudding that is pleasing to the palate. You may use lowfat milk and margarine to cut back on the fat content.
- 8 slices bread
- 3 egg yolks (save whites for meringue)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 cups warm milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick) or 1⁄2 cup oleo (1 stick)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk (Pet brand preferred)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons sugar (for meringue)
- Pour can milk and vanilla over bread, broken in pieces in large bowl.
- Allow to soften Beat egg yolks and whole egg with sugar until fluffy in separate bowl.
- Warm whole milk with butter, heat until butter is melted, don't boil.
- Add mixture of beaten eggs and sugar to bread.
- Pour scalded milk with butter slowly over bread mixture.
- Stir well.
- Pour into large 9" x 13" oblong pyrex dish or baking pan sprayed with pam to prevent sticking.
- Mixture will be soupy.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until firm and lightly browned.
- Beat egg whites with sugar and 1/2 tsp cream of tarter until stiff.
- (1 Tbsp sugar to each egg white) Spread meringue over top of baked pudding.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes in 350 degree oven until meringue is lightly browned.
This is an awesome recipe - I used cinnamon raisin Challah bread because it lends a slightly different flavor and is so incredibly rich.
I love bread pudding and have a good recipe, but wanted to try something new. I used white bread and added raisins and cinnamon. I topped it with my lemon pudding recipe. It was very good, smooth and rich. I'm sure I'll make this again!
I just wanted to thank you for an excellent recipe! I have been searching for deserts that i can make for my boyfriend, who has to cut back on sugar. i substituted the 1-1/2 cups of sugar with Splenda and it turned out perfect! i did use real sugar when i whipped the egg whites, but 3tbsps isn't bad overall! This was a delicious recipe that i will make time and time again. thank you so much for posting this recipe....