Recipe by CountryLady
This is an adaptation of my mother's recipe, I figured that if rum & raisin ice cream is good, why not bread pudding? Of course, you could use brandy or cognac or plain old water for soaking the raisins! Top the pudding with Custard Sauce Custard Sauce or Rum Sauce Rum Sauce or vanilla ice cream.
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons rum (I use dark)
- 4 -6 slices dry bread, cubed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (I use 1%)
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put raisins in a small bowl, sprinkle with rum& set aside for at least 10 minutes or overnight, if possible.
- Lightly oil an 8 inch baking dish or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread bread evenly in the dish.
- Whisk eggs in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add milk, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon & nutmeg and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Stir in the rum soaked raisins.
- Pour this mixture over the bread and press down gently to ensure that all bread is moistened.
- Let stand for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes pressing down occasionally.
- Bake for 35- 40 minutes or until puffed& set in the center.
- Serve warm with ice cream or frozen yogurt or rum sauce or custard sauce.