Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons rum (I use dark)
- 4 -6 slices dry bread, cubed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (I use 1%)
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put raisins in a small bowl, sprinkle with rum& set aside for at least 10 minutes or overnight, if possible.
- Lightly oil an 8 inch baking dish or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread bread evenly in the dish.
- Whisk eggs in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add milk, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon & nutmeg and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Stir in the rum soaked raisins.
- Pour this mixture over the bread and press down gently to ensure that all bread is moistened.
- Let stand for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes pressing down occasionally.
- Bake for 35- 40 minutes or until puffed& set in the center.
- Serve warm with ice cream or frozen yogurt or rum sauce or custard sauce.
I used wheat bread, which was no problem. The nutmeg is a nice touch. Really easy, really fast!
I made some, enjoyed it soo much made more the very next day. MMMMMMMM good. Didn't have rum so i substituted cognac instead. Was wonderfull. Thanks for sharing CountryLady
I made this very tasty bread pudding using raisin bread with raisin in the bread, but also added the 1/2 cup raisins with the rum & made recipe as stated. Then made a rum sauce to top the pudding with this was enjoyed by all. Thank you Country Lady for sharing this yummy recipe.