- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon vanilla (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (to taste)
- 4 cups day old bread or 4 cups plain cake, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup raisins
- butter, to grease pan
- whipped cream or ice cream, for topping (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat into the eggs, the sugar, milk, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Butter a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Put bread cubes into buttered dish, pour egg mixture over bread.
- Let stand until bread is thoroughly soaked.
- Mix in the raisins.
- Bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes.
- Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream or scoop of ice cream.